UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
CLASSIFIED STAFF EMPLOYEE JOB DESCRIPTIONS
JOB CODE: 50910
TITLE: Glassblower, Apprentice
PAY GRADE: 15
Purpose of Classification:
Learns techniques and procedures using off-hand and lathe glass blowing operations to construct and repair sophisticated glass, glass to metal and glass to ceramic apparatuses.
This is first in a series of two classifications. It is distinguished from the Scientific Glassblower in that the Glassblower, Apprentice works under direct supervision as an apprentice to learn the craft of Scientific Glassblowing. Incumbents in this classification work with hazardous materials.
Example of Duties:
- Assists in fabricating, installing and maintaining vacuum systems and related vacuum apparatuses.
- Assists in constructing various apparatuses in metal, glass and ceramics.
- Maintains repairs or replaces glassware equipment.
- Assists in constructing equipment to increase production capabilities, including fixtures and holders, burners, mounting hardware and safety equipment.
- Maintains oxygen and hydrogen manifolds and cylinders.
- Performs routine maintenance and upkeep of glass shop.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the use of raw materials, tools and equipment used in glassblowing.
- Knowledge of chemistry, physics and drafting.
- Skill in hand-eye coordination, manual dexterity and working to close tolerances.
- Skill in following blueprints, drawings, sketches and designs.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- One year of glassblowing experience AND;
- Registration with the U.S. Department of Labor Apprenticeship Program upon employment AND;
- Possess a U.S. Department of Labor Apprentice certificate within 60 days of employment.
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
This description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not
intended to determine specific duties and responsibilities of
any particular position. Essential functions and overtime eligibility
may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
RETURN to HR's "Policies & Publications" Page
HR Home and UAInfo