UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
CLASSIFIED STAFF EMPLOYEE JOB DESCRIPTIONS
JOB CODE: 60760
TITLE: Television Program Manager
PAY GRADE: 43
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates and monitors program scheduling for university
television station(s) broadcasts. Prepares and updates schedules,
screens and acquires programs and participates in program promotions.
This is a specialized classification and not part of a
series. Incumbents in this classification are required to work
within strict deadlines inherent to the broadcasting industry.
Example of Duties:
- Supervises two or more full-time employees, or their equivalent, on a regular basis.
- Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees, or makes related recommendations that are given particular weight.
- Previews and evaluates local, unsolicited independent,
regional and national television programs to determine appropriateness for station usage.
- Ensures program quality for broadcast by deciding whether
program tape or film is technically acceptable.
- Participates in program acquisition by recommending suitable
programs for purchase.
- Prepares and updates weekly/monthly program schedule by
establishing program availability and determining the best time
- Responds to viewers' questions, comments and/or complaints
regarding television programming/scheduling.
- Prepares and maintains various departmental reports for
submittal to supervisor such as program evaluations and preparation
of audience research information; prepares and responds to various
surveys such as program rating surveys.
- Coordinates broadcast traffic and logging activities as
it relates to program scheduling.
- Develops alternatives to planned schedule; authorizes
last minute changes and replaces material.
- Participates in the development of station goals, policies
- Operates computer in order to maintain and update the
- Confers with promotional department to discuss content
of programs scheduled to air; determines which programs to promote.
- Ensures compliance with local, state and federal regulatory
agencies in broadcasting.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of broadcasting rules and regulations.
- Knowledge of broadcast scheduling techniques.
- Skill in broadcast program evaluation.
- Skill in use of mini computer with custom software.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Broadcasting, Communications
or related field AND four years experience in program evaluation,
acquisition and scheduling of radio and/or television programs;
- Eight years experience in program evaluation, acquisition
and scheduling of radio and/or television programs; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or
education approved by Human Resources.
This description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not
intended to determine specific duties and responsibilities of
any particular position. Essential functions and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
HR Home and UAInfo