UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
CLASSIFIED STAFF EMPLOYEE JOB DESCRIPTIONS
JOB CODE: 70140
TITLE: Program Coordinator
PAY GRADE: 33
Purpose of Classification:
Coordinates activities and functions of a designated program
to ensure that goals and objectives specified for the program
are accomplished in accordance with established priorities, time
limitations, funding limitations or other specifications. This
classification is intended for positions with incumbents that
have responsibility for a particular program. A program provides
a specific service or carries out specific activities as a separate
entity or as a component program within a department such as student
service programs or sponsored programs, but it is not a department
This is first in a series of two classifications. Incumbents
are given responsibility for implementing plans and carrying out
objectives and perform many of the same duties as the Program
Coordinator, Senior, but are distinguished from those at the senior
level in that seniors typically are more autonomous, exercise
final decision making authority, coordinate programs with a wider
scope, affecting a wide population, therefore creating greater
impact and exposure and are given fiscal responsibilities that
play a large role such as preparation and control of program budget
and decision making based on budget considerations. Both classifications are expected to supervise other staff, but supervision usually plays a larger role for seniors since the scope and complexity of the program typically require a larger support staff.
Example of Duties:
- May coordinate, monitor or supervise the activities
- Develops and recommends new or revised program goals and
- Develops and schedules program work plan in accordance
with specifications and funding limitations; oversees daily operations and coordinates activities of program; determines priorities.
- Monitors and approves program expenditures ensuring that
budget allocations are not overspent.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of proposal for funding
and/or funding continuation from outside sponsors.
- Confers with and advises staff, students and others to
provide technical advice, problem solving assistance, answers
to questions and program goals and policy interpretation; refers
to appropriate department person when unable to respond.
- Coordinates activities of program with interrelated activities of other programs, departments or staff to ensure optimum efficiency and compliance with appropriate policies, procedures and specifications.
- Prepares periodic reports, financial statements and records
on program activities, progress, status or other special reports
for management or outside agencies.
- Evaluates program effectiveness to develop improved methods;
devises evaluation methodology and implements; analyzes results
and recommends and/or takes appropriate action.
- Reviews applications or other program documents independently
or in conjunction with supervisor to determine acceptance or make
decisions pertaining to program.
- Recruits program participants, members and volunteers
utilizing most appropriate promotional or marketing methods, such
as individual letters, brochures or presentations at meetings.
- Develops, compiles and writes communications and promotional
literature for distribution such as newsletters, brochures or
flyers; coordinates process from development through printing
- Develops and facilitates workshops, meetings or conferences; coordinates logistics, scheduling and participant communications.
- Interacts and maintains liaison with students, faculty,
staff and outside/community agencies in facilitating program objectives.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of issues pertaining to area of assignment.
- Knowledge of budgeting and accounting principles.
- Knowledge of organizational practices.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Skill in organizing work of self and others.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in field appropriate to area
of assignment AND two years administrative/coordinative program
- Six years of progressively responsible administrative
coordinative program experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or
education approved by Human Resources.
This description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not
intended to determine specific duties and responsibilities of
any particular position. Essential functions and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
HR Home and UAInfo