UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA
DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES
CLASSIFIED STAFF EMPLOYEE JOB DESCRIPTIONS
JOB CODE: 71640
TITLE: Telephone Operator
PAY GRADE: 15
Purpose of Classification:
Operates telephone switchboard to route, receive and place
calls to all campus locations. Disseminates information to callers
This classification is first in a series of three classifications
and is distinguished from the Telephone Operator, Senior in that
incumbents do not coordinate or monitor workload distribution
and scheduling as Telephone Operator, Seniors do.
Example of Duties:
- Operates switchboard equipment in order to answer
incoming calls; determines intent of caller and makes appropriate
- Receives and routes a variety of calls for general campus
information including complaints, emergencies, bomb threats and
- Assists in maintaining and updating telephone directories
and event schedules via computerized data base when notified of
changes in order to access correct information.
- Places long distance and conference calls for authorized
- Assists in reporting telephone equipment or service complaints
- Maintains logs of calls placed and any additional information
required for various reports or special projects.
- Trains or assists with training new telephone operators
in performance of job duties.
- Operates and maintains telephone system which disseminates
informational messages to callers regarding specific topics; determines
what information caller requires and plays appropriate tape; maintains
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of centralized telephone systems.
- Skill in the operation of telephone equipment.
- Skill in dealing diplomatically with the public under
- Knowledge of personal computers and methods of updating
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- One year experience operating a multi-line telephone
or switch board system; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or
education approved by Human Resources.
This description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not
intended to determine specific duties and responsibilities of
any particular position. Essential functions and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
HR Home and UAInfo