Personal Leave of Absence
Qualifying Reasons and Eligibility
When an absence is not covered by Family and Medical Leave, and/or approved under Sick Time, Vacation Time, or a short-term Excused Unpaid Absence, a supervisor can decide whether approval of a personal leave of absence is appropriate and can be supported (see Business Considerations for Personal Leave of Absence). Factors to consider for an employee’s eligibility are as follows:
||← and →
(all must be present)
- Departmental request process is followed
- The period of unpaid leave will be more than 28 unpaid calendar days and no more than one calendar year
- Supervisor and administrator approve leave
- Any Appointed Personnel
- Regular Classified Staff (not on initial probation) and has exhausted all vacation
When the employee does not qualify for a Personal Leave of Absence, other absence options can be explored at the supervisor’s discretion – see main flow chart.
- A Personal Leave of Absence is not a right and must be requested and approved in advance.
- A request to approve a Personal Leave of Absence for a Classified Staff employee is made to the immediate supervisor.
- A request to approve an unpaid Leave of Absence for an Appointed Personnel is first reviewed by the department head, then the responsible administrator; the Provost makes the final decision.
- When an employee does not follow the request procedures, a supervisor may consider the absence to be unexcused and subject to discipline. In the case of a nonexempt employee, any unexcused absence must be unpaid.
- Can you grant time off? Business Considerations
Policy #212.0 on Personal Leave of Absence
UHAP Policy 8.04.01 on Leaves of Absence - General.
© 2005, Arizona Board of Regents |
| Contact the
Human Resources Department
University of Arizona | University Services Building, 888 N. Euclid Avenue, Room 114, Tucson, AZ 85721-0158
520.621.3662 (phone) | 520.621.9098 (fax)