|Title: ||Horticultural Retail Center Coordinator|
|Pay Grade: ||33|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Plans, organizes, coordinates and monitors the staff, operations, budget and inventory of the Boyce Thompson Arboretum horticultural retail store and nursery, which support agriculture educational outreach through the cultivation and sale of arid land horticultural specimens, books and souvenirs. Coordinates initial arboretum visitor contact.|
|This is the third in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from the classification of Horticultural Specialist by its responsibility for all staff and functions of an arid land horticultural retail store and for coordinating initial visitor contact.|
Example of Duties:
- Plans, organizes, coordinates and monitors the staff, operations, budget and inventory of the Boyce Thompson Arboretum horticultural retail store and nursery.
- Supervises two or more full-time employees, or their equivalent, on a regular basis.
- Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees, or makes related recommendations that are given particular weight.
- Coordinates the cultivation of arid land plants for use in the arboretum gardens and for retail sale.
- Orders and maintains an inventory of arid land horticultural specimens, books and souvenirs; coordinates and negotiates with sales representatives regarding merchandise.
- Prepares budget proposals and recommendations and establishes budget control system for controlling expenditures; controls expenditures in accordance with budget allocations; recommends equipment and resources for store and nursery operations.
- Prepares proposal for funding and/or funding continuation from outside sponsors.
- Prepares periodic reports, financial statements and records on store and nursery activities, progress, status or other special reports for management or outside agencies.
- Determines policy and procedure for operation; makes needed changes to work methods and procedures; communicates changes to staff.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of arid land horticulture and landscaping principles, practices, techniques and standards.
- Knowledge of retail merchandising management techniques and software.
- Knowledge of inventory control practices and procedures applicable to both horticultural and non-perishable merchandise.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Horticulture or related field, AND one year of experience supervising a horticultural retail center; OR,
- Five years of horticulture experience, which includes one year of experience supervising a horticultural retail center; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and /or education approved by Human Resources.