|Title: ||Telescope Operations Specialist|
|Pay Grade: ||33|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Provides technical support for the observatory by operating the telescope, collecting scientific data, ensuring weather and safety conditions permit operation of telescope and maintaining operational logs.|
|This is the first level in a series of two classifications. Classification requires night shift work with several nights on, then several nights off. During nights worked incumbent resides at a remote location at an elevation of up to 11,000 feet. Incumbents are required to travel to a remote site.|
Example of Duties:
- Operates telescope for observing run which includes operating computers and consoles and monitoring the computer screen and various read outs.
- Collects scientific data through the operation of the telescope.
- Maintains observing weather station, monitoring wind velocity, humidity and amount of dust present; decides if weather conditions permit safe operation of telescope.
- Controls access to observing floor ensuring that a certified observer is present.
- Inspects premises to identify situations potentially dangerous or injurious to personnel or equipment; makes decision to prevent operation of the telescope facility due to adverse conditions.
- Performs preventive maintenance and makes minor repairs to telescope or sub-systems; notifies appropriate personnel of malfunctions of equipment.
- Performs computer diagnostics related to the use of the telescope, active optics and associated electro-optical systems following documented procedures.
- Maintains operational logs which include weather, safety and equipment malfunction information.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge in the operation of telescopes and related instruments.
- Knowledge of related safety measures.
- Knowledge of data acquisition and mathematical calculations.
- Skill in telescope applications and computer control techniques.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Two years of college or technical school training appropriate to the area of assignment AND one year experience with state of the art research or related instrumentation; OR,
- Three years experience operating telescopes which includes one year experience with state of the art research or related instrumentation; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.