|Title: ||Library Supervisor|
|Pay Grade: ||32|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Plans, organizes and supervises a unit of library employees whose duties are specialized and technical and involve varied procedures, methods and has direct responsibility for subordinates including hiring, training, evaluating, monitoring work performance, setting performance goals and providing an environment in which goals can be achieved and career development is fostered. The Library Supervisor manages the work and resources of the unit including planning, organizing, allocating and prioritizing both work and resources to meet the goals of the unit, department and library. The classification's responsibilities are primarily supervisory in nature.|
|This is the first in a series of two classifications and is distinguished from the Library Supervisor, Senior in that Library Supervisors do not supervise multiple library units. This classification reports to a Library Supervisor, Senior, a Librarian or Department Head.|
Example of Duties:
- Supervises two or more full-time employees, or their equivalent, on a regular basis.
- Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees, or makes related recommendations that are given particular weight.
- Plans, schedules and organizes work activities to meet unit goals and objectives.
- Develops, implements and revises work methods, policies and procedures for the library unit.
- Establishes, monitors and ensures adherence to quality and quantity standards.
- Recommends policy development and revision to library department head; recommends organizational adjustments to efficiently and effectively accomplish department and library objectives.
- Maintains records and prepares statistical reports relating to the responsibilities and operations of the unit.
- Maintains responsibility for selecting, implementing and reviewing the use of microcomputer software related to the work of the library unit and for training staff and student employees in the use of these systems.
- Coordinates complex projects with other library sections and departments.
- Plan, prepares and monitors budgets for the library unit and determines budget spending.
- Reviews and negotiates requests for exceptions to policy from library users for the library unit.
- Maintains responsibility for initial handling and reporting of library's central building and personal security problems.
- Interprets and enforces library and university policy and recommends changes in library policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of complex library issues and procedures such as cataloging, acquisitions, reference, circulation or bibliographic control procedures.
- Knowledge of automated library functions.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices, principles and techniques.
- Skill in coordinating work of self and others.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree AND two years related library experience; OR,
- Six years progressively responsible related library experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.