|Title: ||Staff Engineer, Senior|
|Pay Grade: ||64|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Performs one or more of the following:
In a supervisory capacity, plans, develops, coordinates and directs a number of large and important segments of a project of major scope and importance or is responsible for the entire engineering program of an organization when the program is of limited complexity and scope. Recommends facilities, personnel and funds required to carry out specific projects.
As an individual researcher or consultant, conceives, plans and conducts research in problem areas of considerable scope and complexity. Defines difficult problems through a series of complete and conceptually related studies requiring unconventional or novel approaches and requires sophisticated research techniques. Contributes inventions, new designs or techniques which are of material significance in the solution of important problems.
As a staff specialist, serves as the technical specialist for the organization in the application of advanced theories, concepts, principles and processes for an assigned area of responsibility. Keeps abreast of new scientific methods and developments affecting the organization and recommends changes in emphasis of programs or new programs warranted by such developments.|
|This is fifth is a series of five classifications and is distinguished from the Staff Engineer in that supervision received by the Senior is essentially administrative, with assignments given in terms of broad general objectives and limits.|
Example of Duties:
- Plans, develops and coordinates important segments of projects of major scope and importance or for the entire organizational engineering program of limited complexity and scope.
- Recommends facilities, personnel and funds required to carry out programs related to the project objectives.
- Conceives, plans and conducts research in complex problem areas.
- Defines studies requiring unconventional or novel approaches where available guides or precedents contain critical gaps or may be largely lacking due to the novel character of the project.
- Ensures that new scientific methods and developments are considered in project planning; implements those methods or developments into the project if appropriate.
- Plans, organizes and supervises the work of a staff of engineers and technicians.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of engineering principles and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and principles.
- Knowledge of equipment and systems appropriate to related discipline.
- Skill in applying engineering principles and procedures.
- Skill in engineering design applications.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field AND eight years of engineering or related experience; OR,
- Twelve years of engineering or related experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.