|Title: ||HVAC/ Refrigeration Mechanic|
|Pay Grade: ||33|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Installs, repairs, overhauls and maintains heating, ventilating and air conditioning (HVAC) or refrigeration systems.|
|This is a journey level position. This is second in a series of five classifications. This classification typically reports to the HVAC/Refrigeration Mechanic, Lead. Working conditions - restricted movement, extreme temperatures, intense noise, hazardous materials; lifts or carries heavy objects. Incumbents perform either HVAC or refrigeration duties.|
Example of Duties:
- Troubleshoots, repairs and overhauls equipment such as air compressors, pumps, air handlers, air dryers, heat exchangers, other environmental changing devices, other mechanical equipment or electrical, pneumatic and electronic components.
- Installs, maintains or repairs pneumatic valves, electric valves, heat transfer equipment, ventilation and air distribution equipment.
- Installs and replaces all types of pumps or refrigeration equipment, according to prints, specifications, diagrams or other instructions.
- Reads gauges and instruments and adjusts mechanisms such as valves, controls and pumps to control level of fluid pressure and distribution in systems.
- Tests malfunctioning systems and components using electrical, mechanical, digital and pneumatic controls.
- Maintains cooling towers, water treatment facilities and tower distribution system.
- Prepares estimates for repairs and installation of equipment.
- Performs planned maintenance, regular servicing and repairs to refrigeration equipment of all types, sizes and temperature ranges.
- Maintains records of repairs or equipment requiring future service.
- Coordinates work schedules with other departments and shops in order to keep inconvenience to a minimum.
- Provides technical direction to air conditioning service workers.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the HVAC or refrigeration tools, materials and test equipment.
- Knowledge of repair, maintenance and installation techniques.
- Skill in reading and understanding schematics.
- Skill in analyzing HVAC or refrigeration malfunctions from performance and test equipment readings and determining appropriate repairs.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Six years of progressively responsible HVAC or refrigeration equipment installation, maintenance and repair experience; OR,
- Completion of a four year federally approved technical training program in the installation, repair and maintenance of HVAC or refrigeration equipment; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.
- Some positions in this classification may require Chloroflourocarbons Certification upon employment.
- Some positions in this classification may require a current Arizona driver's license upon employment.