|Title: ||Editor, Associate|
|Pay Grade: ||41|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Edits, writes and prepares materials for the printing of manuals, books, manuscripts and journals for publication.|
|This is second in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from the Editor, Assistant in that incumbents write articles and manuscripts, confer with authors on substantive revisions and editorial changes and coordinate related projects, such as book design, proofing and generation of tables and illustrations.|
Example of Duties:
- Edits, writes and rewrites articles, short stories and book manuscripts for publication.
- Confers with authors and other staff members regarding editorial changes and revisions.
- Reads and evaluates manuscripts and ensures correct grammar, consistency in style and readability and design.
- Coordinates galley and page proofing, book design, computer disk transferral and the generation of illustrations, tables, cartographics and indexes.
- Supervise, monitor or coordinate the activities of subordinates.
- Researches and selects materials to be used.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of language skills necessary for editing, news writing and proofing of written material.
- Knowledge of publication format and editorial practices.
- Skill in organizing work and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, English or related field AND two years experience in editing, journalism or editorial research; OR,
- Six years of progressively responsible experience in editing, journalism or editorial research; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.