|Title: ||Marketing Specialist, Assistant|
|Pay Grade: ||23|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Assists in the marketing operations, advertising and/or sales for public events held at university facilities or various university programs, or of scholarly and general trade books.|
|This is first in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from the Marketing Specialist, Associate in that incumbents work less independently and are not responsible for the design and development of a specific market; may assist a Marketing Specialist who promotes public events, various university programs or scholarly and general trade books.|
Example of Duties:
- Writes descriptive copy for books, catalogs, advertisements or book jackets.
- Prepares general catalogs of books by writing copy, gathering bibliographic data, determining layout and coordinating production.
- Prepares subject area catalogs and brochures for promotional mailings.
- Obtains mailing lists from appropriate sources; schedules mailings of informational material and analyzes effectiveness of mailings.
- Assists in the development and design of advertisements for books.
- Analyzes the work of sales representatives to ensure maximum distribution of materials to retail outlets.
- Evaluates exhibit opportunities for exposure and travels to professional meetings to exhibit products.
- Analyzes sales and advises management of need to increase or decrease inventory; works with order department and shipping to insure proper priorities in filling orders.
- Assists in the implementation of ongoing mass marketing or programs for university facilities or various university programs in conformity with organizational goals and objectives.
- Assists in the preparation of a master calendar/schedule of events or classes for use in advertising.
- Updates catalog information and informs customers of price changes.
- Works through vendors and contractors to coordinate media placement and printing of various brochures, articles and schedules; coordinates distribution of printed materials.
- Edits, takes photos and determines layout of promotional and informational materials including brochures, flyers, slides, presentations, press releases and feature articles; oversees production of materials.
- Tracks ticket sales, book sales or enrollment in programs in order to monitor advertising effectiveness.
- Attends events in order to interact with public and respond to minor problems and/or questions.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of media placement and graphic design concepts.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of marketing.
- Skill in marketing, slide presentations or publications.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Associate's degree in marketing or related field AND two years of experience in the development of comprehensive marketing plans or book trade experience; OR,
- Four years in the development of comprehensive marketing plans or book trade or advertising experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.