|Title: ||Payroll Manager|
|Pay Grade: ||51|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Manages and coordinates the operations and activities of a payroll staff and controls preparation and disbursement of payroll for the centralized university payroll function. Oversees the maintenance of related tax and other payroll records. Ensures accurate and timely payment of wages/salaries to university employees.|
|This is third in a series of three classifications and is distinguished from the Payroll Specialist by the management responsibilities and extensive experience and education required to carry out functions.|
Example of Duties:
- Supervises two or more full-time employees, or their equivalent, on a regular basis.
- Makes decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees, or makes related recommendations that are given particular weight.
- Devises and implements changes to work assignments, procedures or methods to meet operational needs, improve accuracy and efficiency of payroll system.
- Develops long range plans and staffing requirements and oversees business operations of department.
- Compiles budgetary estimates and specifications for service, facilities, equipment and operations.
- Analyzes and resolves complex or difficult issues and problems presented by subordinates and university staff, faculty or students; determines cause and takes appropriate corrective action.
- Interprets university, state and federal regulations to subordinates and other staff, faculty or students.
- Keeps informed of all recent changes in regulations affecting payroll; notifies affected staff of the changes and implications.
- Confers with supervisors or representatives from other departments in order to coordinate activities of individual departments in conjunction with payroll processing.
- Formulates, recommends and implements changes to policy or procedure to ensure integrity of payroll system; ensures compliance with federal and state regulations governing payment of wages to individuals.
- Reviews and approves regular and periodic reports and special paycheck requests submitted by subordinates.
- Compiles data and prepares written reports as required by state and federal regulations or by supervisor; reviews statistical reports submitted by staff to monitor activities, anticipates problems and ensures accurate recording of transactions submitted to financial system.
- Represents the payroll function of university to outside agencies or groups; acts as primary contact for questions, audits or other purposes.
- Authorizes collection activities for employees overpaid and reports results to administrative unit; authorizes issuance of emergency checks.
- Coordinates and oversees training program for payroll representatives of user departments with input to payroll system.
- Ensures adequate inventory of forms used in department.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or related field AND three years of payroll or accounting experience which includes one year in a supervisory capacity; OR,
- Seven years of progressively responsible payroll or accounting experience which includes one year in a supervisory capacity; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.