|Title: ||Buyer, Associate|
|Pay Grade: ||33|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Purchases materials, equipment, supplies and services in accordance with prescribed purchasing regulations and procedures. Reviews and analyzes purchase requisitions, investigating and developing sources of supplies; prepares routine bid specifications, issues bid requests, reviews quotations, interprets purchasing procedures to departments and vendors, acting as a liaison between user departments and vendors.|
|This is first in a series of four classifications and is distinguished from the Buyer in that the Buyer, Associate does not perform specialized or complex purchasing transactions that require the development of detailed specifications.|
Example of Duties:
- Examines departmental purchase requisitions for completeness and accuracy of provided information necessary for the buying procedure.
- Secures bids on requisitions or processes them for purchase; prepares bid invitations and recommends approval of bids most advantageous to the university.
- Confers with departments with respect to questionable items on the requisition and interprets purchasing procedures to departments.
- Seeks new sources of supplies for materials and equipment and secures terms favorable to the university.
- Maintains catalog library on special commodity items.
- Maintains records of supplies, amounts ordered and received, and actual sales records on items and vendors.
- Develops and refines specifications for requested commodities, supplies or equipment working with requesting department to identify needs.
- Interviews sales representatives to develop new sources of supplies, secures favorable terms for the university, and updates records and files; secures samples, descriptions, photos or information for departments.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of purchasing practices and procedures.
- Skill in preparing specifications and analyzing bids.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Associate's degree in related field AND one year of purchasing, expediting or directly related experience; OR,
- Three years of purchasing, expediting or directly related experience; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education approved by Human Resources.