|Title: ||Database Specialist, Senior|
|Pay Grade: ||B11|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Consults with primary stakeholders, users and senior management to conduct user needs analysis and designs and develops database management systems solutions. Monitors, analyzes and optimizes database performance. Installs, implements, tests, monitors, maintains and troubleshoots database hardware and software. |
|This is the second in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from the Database Specialist which installs and maintains database hardware and software and supports database users. It is distinguished from the Database Specialist, Principal which establishes database standards, ensures performance, security and integrity of databases and consults with senior management and other stakeholders regarding program planning.|
Example of Duties:
- Consults with primary stakeholders, users and senior management to conduct user needs analysis and develop database management systems solutions. Supports staff and management users.
- Determines hardware, software and staff time required to implement database solutions. Analyzes requested database changes for systems impact.
- Designs, develops, installs, implements and integrates relational databases including user interfaces.
- Creates and implements programming scripts and procedures to maintain consistent and accurate data during transfer, storage and retrieval. Converts electronic data from original formats into system-compatible formats. Creates technical and non-technical documentation.
- Monitors database system availability and overall functionality and optimizes database performance.
- Installs, implements, tests and maintains relational database software including patches, updates and upgrades and related hardware.
- Establishes and coordinates database user access and privileges. Implements data security protocols. Implements and maintains database backup and disaster recovery procedures.
- Participates as a team member on database design and development projects. May manage projects of limited scope or portions of large/complex projects. May guide other technical staff on a project basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of relational database management systems, database applications software and associated hardware and software.
- Knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of relational database design and administration.
- Knowledge of scripting programming languages specific to the assignment.
- Skill in prioritizing, planning and organizing work.
- Skill in analytical and creative problem solving.
- Skill in conducting database needs analysis.
- Skill in database design, development and optimization.
- Skill in communicating technical information to technical and non-technical users.
- Skill in functioning independently and as part of a team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Five years of experience designing, developing, installing, monitoring and maintaining relational database software and related hardware; OR,
- Associate's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Information Technology or related field AND four years experience designing, developing, installing, monitoring and maintaining relational database software and related hardware; OR,
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Information Technology or related field AND two years experience designing, developing, installing, monitoring and maintaining relational database software and related hardware; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.