|Title: ||Database Specialist, Principal|
|Pay Grade: ||B13|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Establishes and implements database procedures and standards. Ensures performance, security and integrity of databases. Consults with primary stakeholders and senior management for program planning and to develop database solutions. Designs, develops, and maintains highly complex databases. In addition, serves as one or more of the following:
As a project manager, defines scope, plans, organizes and directs project teams involved in major database projects.
As a functional team coordinator, schedules, monitors, guides and participates with technical staff in the analysis, design, development, implementation, installation, testing, maintenance and administration of database systems.
As a functional supervisor, hires, schedules, monitors, directs and evaluates a small technical staff.
|This is the third in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from the Database Specialist, Senior which conducts user needs analysis, designs and develops automated databases and monitors, analyzes and optimizes database performance.|
Example of Duties:
- Establishes and implements database development, design, administration, maintenance, security, backup and data recovery policies, procedures and standards.
- Ensures database availability, security, accuracy, consistency and overall functionality.
- Consults with primary stakeholders, senior management, external parties and users for program planning and coordination and to develop database solutions.
- Plans, organizes and coordinates all aspects of large/complex database design and development projects.
- Coordinates and provides guidance in the analysis, design, development, installation, implementation, testing, maintenance and administration of database systems in response to user requests and requirements.
- Researches emerging database technologies, analyzes costs and benefits, and recommends the purchase of hardware and software.
- Analyzes, designs, develops, implements, integrates, troubleshoots and optimizes complex databases. Creates programming scripts and procedures to store, transform, and retrieve data.
- Creates technical and non-technical documentation.
- Installs and maintains hardware and database software including the most complex patches, updates, and upgrades. Maintains database licenses and vendor support agreements.
- May supervise two or more full-time employees or their equivalent, on a regular basis, including decisions regarding hiring, evaluation, promotion and termination of employees, or makes related recommendations that are given particular weight.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of relational database management systems, database and other applications software and associated hardware.
- Knowledge of the theory, principles and practices of relational database analysis, design and administration.
- Knowledge of scripting programming languages specific to the assignment.
- Knowledge of supervisory practices, principles and techniques.
- Knowledge of project management principles, methods and techniques.
- Skill in communicating technical information to technical and non-technical users.
- Skill in prioritizing and organizing work and managing projects.
- Skill in supervising, coordinating and monitoring the work of others.
- Skill in analytical and creative problem solving.
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Six years of progressively responsible experience analyzing, designing, developing maintaining and administering relational databases including at least two years of experience leading technical projects and/or teams; OR,
- Associate's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Information Technology or related field AND five years of progressively responsible experience analyzing, designing, developing, maintaining and administering automated databases including at least two years of experience leading technical projects and/or teams; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.