|Title: ||Systems Programmer, Senior|
|Pay Grade: ||B11|
|Pay Range |
Purpose of Classification:
|Researches and resolves complex technical computer systems software and hardware questions. Assists and trains users and technical staff. Analyzes and optimizes system performance. Implements and integrates major systems software projects. Installs, configures, maintains and documents systems software and related hardware and applications systems. |
|This is the second in a series of three classifications. It is distinguished from the Systems Programmer which installs, configures, maintains and documents systems software and assists management technical staff and system users with basic technical questions. It is distinguished from the Systems Programmer, Principal which conducts highly technical systems analysis, establishes and implements policies, and develops complex computing infrastructures.|
Example of Duties:
- Researches and resolves complex technical computer systems software, hardware and systems capabilities questions from users, management and other technical personnel. Assists and trains users and technical staff in systems operations.
- Analyzes and determines the cause of systems software/hardware failures and/or performance deficiencies. Adapts and optimizes systems performance. Designs, develops or recommends new or revised systems or system utilities.
- Revises, enhances, updates, installs, configures, integrates, maintains and documents systems hardware; software, including highly complex operating systems; and related applications systems.
- Maintains the security and integrity of all systems and data. Implements system backup procedures and directs data recovery operations.
- Tests and analyzes new software and the impact of software updates and patches.
- Coordinates activities of vendor support personnel regarding systems repairs and upgrades of internal and external systems.
- Participates in complex system infrastructure projects. May manage projects of limited scope or portions of large/complex projects. May guide other technical staff on a project basis.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of the theory and practice of computer systems and applications programming.
- Knowledge of current computer operating system programming languages and technology.
- Knowledge of current computer security and network protocols.
- Skill in installing, configuring and maintaining computer hardware, operating and application systems and utilities.
- Skill in testing computer software updates and patches.
- Skill in optimizing computer systems performance.
- Skill in the use of the programming and job control languages.
- Skill in integrating new computer systems into existing environments.
- Ability to support users and technical staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Five years of computer systems programming experience including the installation and maintenance of hardware, operating and applications systems and utilities; OR
- Associate's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Information Technology or related field AND four years of systems programming experience including the installation and maintenance of hardware, operating and applications systems and utilities; OR,
- Bachelor's degree in Management Information Systems, Computer Information Technology or related field AND two years of systems programming experience including the installation and maintenance of hardware, operating and applications systems and utilities; OR,
- Any equivalent combination of experience, training and/or education.